When you are a makeup artist, it is trained and instilled in you that using a primer before foundation application is an essential step to ensure it lasts.
I do believe that adding a primer (or base of some sort) will help your makeup last because it creates a layer between your skin and the foundation, so it takes longer for everything to absorb into the skin and ‘wear off’.
I have to confess that I consider primers to be very, very similar to a good moisturiser and skin routine.
If you take a look at the ingredients of a primer and a moisturiser, you will usually find that they are extremely similar.
There are a bunch of different primers on the market that you can buy to address specific areas of concern, like redness or oiliness. This just confuses people! Check the ingredients and work out if the ‘calming’ label is only because they have added in chamomile to soothe the skin, or calendula to reduce oiliness. Now look at your moisturiser. If you have invested in skin care for your skin type, you probably already have those ingredients in your routine, and there is no need to double up on the same product just because it is called ‘primer’ and is packaged differently.
Now, onto the bad stuff in mainstream primers! These are the ingredients to steer clear of when buying a primer or moisturiser to use as primer
Butylparaben aka "Brightening agent”
Part of the paraben family of preservatives that mimics your estrogen, it is a hormone disruptor and toxic to the reproductive system.
Polyethylene aka "Tightening agent”
Non biodegradable and linked to being carcinogenic and releases micro plastic pollution into the skin.
Isobutylparaben aka “Cosmetic preservative”
Again, parabens mimics your estrogen and are hormone disruptors. 19 of 20 women studied that had breast cancer were found to carry this ingredient in their blood system.
Take note that any word that ends in paraben is a paraben, so keep away!
You also need to be very careful when you are buying anything that says 'paraben free’ because although brands are aware that consumers are catching on to their tricks and have stopped using paragons, they have started using ingredients that are just as bad, if not WORSE. Synthetic preservatives like phenoxyethanol and formaldehyde are the two big no-no’s - stay away!
You wouldn’t want to eat anything synthetic so why would you want to put synthetic products on your skin? At least the body has a change to detoxify - 90% of whatever you rub into your skin is absorbed, the good and the bad!
Don’t worry because there are some beautiful brands out there with products that respect your skin and health.
Here are some of my favourite natural, organic primers.
INIKA PURE PRIMER
- Lavender, Lemon Myrtle and Jojoba - Contains certified organic essential oils which will nourish and hydrated skin.
Main Ingredient - Hyaluronic Acid
- Can hold up to 1000 x its weight in water.
- Diminishes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by plumping the skin.
- Extra Hydration creates a perfect base.
- Increases skin elasticity.
- Provides a youthful and dewy glow.
BUY IT HERE
WELEDA SKIN FOOD
- Calendula Flower Extract- Anti-inflammatory and reducing redness and healing skin
- Organic Chamomile- Soothe irritated skin
- Sunflower Seed Oil- Rich in essential fatty acids and vitamin E to promote hydration and healing of the skin.
- Rosemary Leaf Extract- Anti-septic qualities help to heal blemishes on the skin. It also promotes circulation, which can help in healing the skin.
- Sweet Almond Oil- Provides a protective barrier for skin
BUY IT HERE
ERICA BROOKE DAILY DOSE
- Co Enzyme Q10 - Antioxidant protector
- Kakadu Plum - Native to northern Australia, it is one of the highest sources of Vitamin C. Perfect for encouraging collagen production in the body, and very high in antioxidants!
- Rose hip oil- Brightens the skin and reduces the appearance of sun spots & redness
VAPOUR STRATUS SOFT FOCUS INSTANT SKIN PROTECTOR
- Stratus - nourishes skin with Organic Pumpkin and Papaya complex,
- Organic Evening Primrose - essential fatty acid-rich, essential amino acid Lysine and skin supportive Silica.
- Frankincense, antioxidant Tulsi, and calming Lotus - infusion of soothing
BUY IT HERE
Make the switch to a natural, organic primer (or moisturiser) and say goodbye to all the nasties in mainstream skincare. Your skin will love you for it!